FreeType 2 is a software font engine that is designed to be small, efficient, highly customizable, and portable while capable of producing high-quality output (glyph images). It can be used in graphics libraries, display servers, font conversion tools, text image generation tools, and many other products as well. http://www.freetype.org reveals more information.
Instructions for Mac OS X
PLplot uses either fonts provided by the Free UCS Outline Fonts project (http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/freefont/) or Windows fonts (Arial, etc.). Both are not installed on Mac OS X by default. You can download the FreeFonts from http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/freefont/ and copy the ttf files into the User's Library/Fonts directory. In order cmake can find these fonts, we need to set the PL_FREETYPE_FONT_PATH option, e.g.
cmake -DPL_FREETYPE_FONT_PATH=/Users/smekal/Library/Fonts/ ..
freetype is also available via Macports. To install the freetype library open the terminal and enter
sudo port install freetype
Instructions for Windows
- Download the Freetype library
- Unzip the ft237.zip package in a suitable place
- Cd into the new directory
- Then for MinGW (call mingw32.make twice!):
mingw32-make mingw32-make copy objs\freetype.a objs\libfreetype.a
Visual C++ compiler
- Or for Visual C++ (you need to use GNU-Make not nmake - download it from http://prdownloads.sf.net/mingw/mingw32-make-3.80.0-3.tar.gz?download or http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/make.htm):
path_to_gnu_make\mingw32-make setup visualc path_to_gnu_make\mingw32-make
- For Visual C++ 2005 you need to change line 69 of freetype-2.2.1\builds\compiler\visualc.mk to
CFLAGS ?= /nologo /c /Ox /W3 /WX /D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE
Set CMake paths
- set environment variables (for MinGW and Visual C++)
set FREETYPEDIR=C:\freetype-2.2.1 set CMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH=%FREETYPEDIR%\include set CMAKE_LIBRARY_PATH=%FREETYPEDIR%\objs
CMake is now able to find the freetype library and headers.