The core of PLplot as well as most of the drivers depend on third-party libraries. For the PLplot library most dependencies are optional, while drivers are not included if dependencies are not fulfilled. In the following section information about this dependencies for the various operating systems are given.
- qhull - ???
- aquaterm - displays plots, available for Mac OS X
- cairo/pango - displays plots and save to different file formats, available for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X
- cgm - outputs cgm files
- freetype - enables use of ttf fonts for some drivers
- libgd - the gd driver is able to output png, jpeg and gif files (note: deprecated - use cairo/pango instead)
- libharu - C library used for the pdf driver
- Qt - display plots, output various formats on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X using Qt UI framework
- wxWidgets - displays plots, available on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X using wxWidgets library